O’Dowds Seafood Bar, Restaurant and Cafe is located in the center of Roundstone village overlooking the harbour with panoramic views over Roundstone Bay & the Twelve Bens. It has been run by the O’Dowd family for four generations since 1906. A bar has been operating on the premises since 1840 and it is widely regarded as the oldest pub in Connemara. It is now famous for its excellent fresh local seafood and it has one of the best pints of Guinness in the locality.
O’Dowds has been serving both locals and visitors since 1840. Originally known as “Kelly’s Hotel” it became O’Dowds in 1906 and has retained that name ever since. For most of that time it was a combined Bar and grocery shop, only ever changing temporarily to a Funeral Parlour during the making of the movie ‘The Matchmaker’ in 1996.
The grocery shop is now gone – although you can still see the hooks in the ceiling for hanging meat- Wood paneled walls and open turf fires give it an atmosphere of warmth and friendliness.
Their mission has always been to serve the freshest of local produce at a fair price in a friendly and relaxed environment. Their focus is on serving excellent local Connemara seafood as well as meat, chicken and vegetarian dishes. All of their breads are homemade, as is their seasonal soups and of course, their famous Seafood Chowder. They also have their own Herb/Vegetable garden which supplies them (when in season) with Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cucumbers, Artichokes, Raspberries, Redcurrants, Strawberries, Apples, Mint, Fennel, Dill, Rosemary, Sage and Lovage.
They are recommended in all the major guide books, including: The lonely Planet, The Rough Guide, Georgina Campbell, Frommers and The Bridestone Guide. They were recently delighted to have received a Michelin Bib Gourmand for three consecutive years, 2011, 2012 & 2013, the only Connacht restaurant to do so, and were very proud to be voted Best Gastropub in Connacht by The Sunday Independent readers in 2011.